Tuesday 9 September 2014

Munir: Spain debut my childhood dream

Barcelona youngster Munir El Haddadi says he has fulfilled a "childhood dream" representing Spain following his debut on Monday against Macedonia.
Vicente del Bosque's men comfortably defeated the visitors 5-1 in their Euro 2016 qualification opener to begin to plaster over their World Cup wounds from the summer.
Munir, who has enjoyed a superb start to 2014-15 as part of Luis Enrique's Barca squad, was handed his international debut with 13 minutes left on the clock to end speculation over whether he would represent Spain or Morocco at senior level.
Morocco's coach Badou Ezzaki took a dig at the 19-year-old for choosing la Roja, saying "patriotism is not something to negotiate", but Munir insists that he had always intended to represent the country of his birth rather than his parental heritage.
"I never doubted about playing for Spain," he told Teledeporte. "I was born here and I am very happy to have made my debut.
"To play for Spain was my own decision. I knew what it meant [that it ruled out a future Morocco appearance] to appear for Spain. This is a childhood dream come true."
Spain are back in action on October 9 against Slovakia, who sit in second place behind the reigning European champions in Group C after one game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment