Thursday 19 December 2013

SPOILER ALERT: Damian Lewis weighs in on the 'moving' Homeland finale...

The season three finale of Homeland left a lot of doors open and the jaws of its audience collectively on the floor.

Now that the dust has started to settle, Damian Lewis has weighed in on what he thinks about the episode, and the fate of his character Nicholas Brody.

The actor, 42, also discussed how he learned Brody would be killed off, and what it was like to film the scene that saw him die in a public execution.

'I think they did a really good job with it,' Damian told Entertainment Weeklywhen asked how he felt about the end of Brody's story. 'I knew he had become a popular character so I wanted him served well.

'I wanted him to go out with a bang. I wanted him to have a grand finale. I didn't expect a hero's finale because Brody is not a hero, he's become too much of a tragic figure over the course of three seasons; he's a damaged man.'

Talking about his character's death resonating with the audience, he said it was moving how Brody was killed off with 'so much unsaid, so much undone', particularly in relation to his relationship with Carrie (Claire Danes), who watched him die.

Brody's death struck a chord with everyone, and Damian revealed that filming his hanging in a square in Tehran was just as 'distressing' as it was to watch.

He explained: 'It was pretty unsettling — when I got in the car and the extras started banging on the car and shouting my name.

Walking toward the crane and having the noose around my neck and looking out. I was looking at this mob there to see a public hanging.'

And although he was suspended from a crane and trying not to choke, Damian was still doing his best to portray Brody's emotions in that moment.

'He told Carrie he didn't want her to be there. But in those last moments he tries to find her and does.

'In the moment he's being executed in a foreign land in front of strangers, it's very clear at he would love a familiar face to look at, and even better that it's Carrie's — a woman that he loves.

'That's really what I was concentrating on, trying to do that in a credible way while having the life choked out of me.'

Damian said that he first learned of Brody's fate at the beginning of the season, but knew for sure he would be leaving the show at the season three launch party in a bar at the Hay-Adams hotel in Washington, D.C.

Source: Dailymail
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

0 comments:

Post a Comment