Sunday 22 December 2013

I’m very single –Jennifer Olize

Background

My name is Jennifer Olize. I hail from Ila, Delta State. I'm in my 20s. I am an event-planner, a stylist, a jeweller and a fashion consultant. My parents are Mr. and Mrs. Frank Olize. I studied Business Economics at the University of Reading, United Kingdom and I earned a postgraduate in Event Management at the University of New York. Initially, I wanted to have a course on wedding planning but I never enjoyed going to weddings in Nigeria. This is because everyone has turned it to entertainment. Therefore, I decided to focus more on fashion and when the idea of merging music and fashion cropped up, I jumped at it. I love planning events and as a child, I always organised parties.

Growing up

We enjoyed love from our parents and our father always showed up at any school function. Thought there was a break when he relocated to Abuja, but he still proved the good father. He is very strict and a perfectionist. He is particular about how things are done. He is in communication with whatever my sister and I do. Our mother is our greatest fan, who is more of our friend. She also supports us.

Why I'm not a broadcaster

My father was but I went for what I had a passion for. We are two girls and none of us is into broadcasting. However, he is not bothered about this and he even helps us with what we are doing. He proffers advice too.

Music Meets Runway

It was an idea that sprang up three years ago after I returned from the United States. It is to infuse live music into fashion shows. But for music, runways would have been a bore! But when models strut the runway amidst music performances, everybody and everywhere come alive. The clothes look prettier and the models are ecstatic. Live music gives an edge to the models because music and fashion are a perfect mix. I witnessed it abroad and decided to incorporate it in Nigerian fashion industry. This year, fashion icons, who are global brands, graced the runway with their designs.

Nigerian fashion

I love the designs and designers. The only concern I have is the conscious attempt by designers not to use local fabrics in most of their designs. I love to see the Ankara, Adires, Batik etc. Then, when you wear these clothes abroad, the Europeans know you are African and a Nigerian.

Success in business

Its hard work. I don't get money from my parents to run my business. I hustle and go about with proposals, make presentations and share my knowledge. Most of the people who want to spend money are not interested in who is you father but what you have in your brain! I thank God for the open doors. I run a jewellery store, where I design some of my pieces. I have my jewellery bespoke line and I source pieces from other countries and I assemble to resell in Nigeria. I am also a stylist.

Fashion

I am very conservative in dressing and I like covering up my body. I like simplicity and I don't do well with bright colours. I hate red. I understand my body and I wear pieces that suit my body. I don't like red and I try not to be a victim of fashion police.

Beauty routine

I apply sunscreen, stay out of the sun and I have my body scrub- honey, brown sugar and lemon. I scrub my body and I can never go to bed without washing my face.

Relationship

I am not in any currently. This means I am very single. I wish I had time but I don't. Fortunately, I am not under pressure from my parents but when its time, I will get married.

Leisure

I travel a lot because of my store. I try to take out a day to rest and I like eating out.
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

0 comments:

Post a Comment