Saturday 30 November 2013

I don’t care what people say about me marrying an actor –Mimi Orjiekwe

Actress, Mimi Orjiekwe, tells 'Nonye Ben-Nwankwo about her life and why she got engaged to her colleague

Somehow, you just came into the industry and hit fame, how did you do it?

It is just God's doing. Anything He says you will be today is what you will be. It is about hard work as well. But then, I didn't just come into the industry. I was here some years back but I stepped out after a while.

Why?

I had to do my national youth service. Before I left, I had done some movies. I came back last year. Since I came back, I have been very busy. Perhaps that is why I have been noticed. I have been doing so many good movies. I have met and worked with different producers and directors.

But don't you think the time you were away sort of pulled you back?

I don't think so. Apart from my NYSC, I had to start my Master's programme. I served at NAFDAC and I got a lot of experience. I had to know how to do other things. After the movies, what else? You need to be educated. You don't need to focus only on acting. There are some other things you can achieve in life. You can never know what is inside of you. I come from a family where education is a must.

What did you study to serve at NAFDAC?

I studied Business Administration. I served under the administrative arm of the agency.

Why did you choose acting, to be in the spotlight?

No, it wasn't that. When I was much younger, I loved parties and anything that had to do with red carpet. My dad was a member of Rotary Club and we always had parties. I love the social life. I was a beauty queen in Enugu in 2008. I was Miss NYSC in camp.

How did you come into the industry?

I met a director during the time I was a beauty queen in Enugu who happened to be one of the judges in that beauty contest. He decided to sign me on as an actress. That was how I started.

But you eventually had a spat with him?

Yes. He made me sign a contract. I was so young. I was excited when he told me I was going to be an actress. But I signed the contract not knowing what it entailed. He had to manage me. I got into the industry and I found out that other actresses didn't sign any contract. I felt abused and I was upset. I told him that the contract would not work. That was majorly the reason I had to leave the industry in the first place. I decided to focus on my education. I now know how to manage my life.

What else was stipulated in the contract?

I think he was meant to take 40 per cent of whatever I earned while I take 60 per cent. He had to be the one to tell me the jobs I should take. He had to be aware of all my jobs. All this didn't help me at all. I did a couple of movies with him and I left.

That means you didn't wait for the contract to expire?

The contract has expired. I was shooting in Asaba last year and he came on set to harass me. I had to call my lawyer. It was a five-year contract and I believe it has expired now. So many marketers and producers were against him.

So who is this director?

He is called Nonso Ekene Okonkwo.

How has it been since you came back?

It has been wonderful. I have been working nonstop. At the moment, I am shooting in Enugu. The stress is much but I still thank God. I am grateful.

You must really love the spotlight, otherwise, how come you participated in beauty contests not just once but twice?

I meet a lot of people and they tell me that I have the height advantage; I am 5 ft, 11. They tell me I have good looks. A lot of people would always encourage me. I was never an office girl. I never liked eight to five job.

Why didn't you take it a step further to a bigger platform like Miss Nigeria or Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria contest?

I don't think I was interested anymore. I had interest a little bit. I know the Bruce's family. They are my friends. If I had a chance, I probably would have contested.

It is widely believed that beauty queens are promiscuous…

It is not true because I am not promiscuous. I had a manager who guided me. I was too young then. My mum would always tell me to run away any time a man came close to me. I don't know about beauty queens of nowadays. It is just a wrong impression about the queens.

So how do you cope with male advances?

I have accepted it as part of my life and I also live a very simple and free life. I laugh with anybody and even joke with the shoemaker. The sooner you take life simple the better. You just greet the guy and go. I don't have to be rude. You smile with people and they appreciate you. You just have to be nice to them.

We guess you enjoy the advances?

I enjoy the appreciation. I like it when people tell me about my movie. I appreciate it when they tell me I act well. It is a blessing. But some days, I am not in the mood but I have to work on it. Even when you are not in the mood to talk to anybody, you have to pretend. Don't push people away.

Along the line, your engagement to Tinsel actor, Charles, made headlines; was that the intention?

It wasn't my intention for it to become a public thing. When I decided to go on a holiday to Zanzibar, I decided to take some people along and my boyfriend also decided to come along. My birthday fell in that period. Some actresses and actors were there. The time my boyfriend proposed, so many people took the pictures and used it as their DP on their phones. A blogger was there too and he was busy doing his job. I didn't tell anybody to take picture. Before I knew it, people were calling me from Nigeria.

When is the wedding?

We are working on it. I know it will
be soon.

Some of your colleagues claim they are too busy to plan their weddings and that is why they are still single, is that so in your own case?

I don't blame anybody that says that. It is not easy. I always say 'soon' because I have it in mind. We have to prepare. Before you know it, you might be carried away with your career. However, in everything you do, you must consider your private life. You must have kids. You must be happy. We are planning seriously towards that.

At this stage your career is blossoming, don't you think marriage would tie you down?

No way. What makes a super woman is the ability to handle her marriage, social life, kids and her job at the same time. I am going to be a super woman. Fortunately, my fiancé is an actor and he understands the nature of the job.

Where did you meet Charles, your fiancé?

I met that boy when a friend took me to another friend's get together. We just greeted and that was it. I had a meeting with Mnet people that period. I walked into the Tinsel office and I met him. He was with Tinsel then. We became friends from then till now.

Your line of duty comes with scandals; can you shoulder the responsibilities that come with it?

It is difficult. Sometimes, it blows your mind. Sometimes, the stories are told upside down. Some people think I have done bad getting engaged to a fellow actor. They feel I am deceiving myself. So many things have been said but I don't care. I am happy. Some people wonder how I got the money for the trip. But this is what I signed for. I signed to sell my personal life to the public. It is not a reality show but the public always want to know what you are doing. The gist will always go round. You just have to deal with it.
You were accused of borrowing money from your colleague Lilian.

How come you didn't pay her back the N200, 000 you collected from her?

I see that story as very senseless, stupid and wicked. I am very proud. God blessed me. I am bigger than N200, 000. If I owe you, expectedly, you should be my friend. And then, you ought to call me on the phone and we talk about it. You didn't need to take it to the public. Anybody who would do that is an enemy. It is wicked.

But do you owe her?

I do not owe anybody. I invited her to come and meet my producer on the set and I wouldn't know what happened between them. Now, she turned it around and even went as far as writing it on her Facebook wall that she lent me some money. That is a false accusation. A single mother who would do that is an enemy. I can never be so wicked to owe a single mother. The producer told me he kept in touch with her and she had no reason to get me involved. This girl sells clothes in Port Harcourt and I buy clothes from her worth more than the money she is talking about. I think she is just jealous and she wants people to perceive me in a bad light. It is ruthless and downgrading for her.

So has the matter died down?

The matter is still on but it is not a problem to me. As far as I am concerned, it is a nonsense talk. I don't have a quarrel with her. If she were a mega star, I would fight but she is nobody. There is no need for me to fight with her.

Copyright PUNCH.
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

0 comments:

Post a Comment