Saturday 31 May 2014

Punishment: Baker who refused to make same-sex couple wedding cake will be forced to serve gay weddings or risk closure

A Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple because of religious beliefs has been told by the Civil Rights Commission that he can't discriminate against customers.
The state's commission has told Jack Phillips that his religious objections to same-sex weddings did not trump Colorado's anti-discrimination statues.
The unanimous ruling upheld an administrative law judge's finding in December that Phillips violated civil rights law when he refused an order from a gay couple in 2012, who later sued.

'I can believe anything I want, but if I'm going to do business here, I'd ought to not discriminate against people,' Commissioner Raju Jaram said.
Phillips, a Christian who owns the Masterpiece Cakeshop in the Denver suburb of Lakewood, said the decision violates his First Amendment rights to free speech and free exercise of his religion.
'I will stand by my convictions until somebody shuts me down,' he told reporters after the ruling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment